Re: [chrony-users] refclock local

On Tue, Aug 08, 2023 at 18:54:15 -0400, Josef 'Jeff' Sipek wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 08, 2023 at 14:33:10 +0200, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> > If the stabilization
> > works well, the skew of other sources should become smaller and they
> > should use more samples (NP).
>
> Noted.  I restarted chrony this morning with the PPS configured but no
> signal going in, then after ~4 hours (which I assume is enough for the
> system to stabilize), I turned on the PPS signal.  I'm going to give it a
> few more hours and then look at the logs to see how the frequency skew of
> the sources changed throughout the day - and especially after I enabled the
> PPS signal.

Just plotted the contents of statistics.log and I *think* things are better
with PPS but not in a major way.  NP is higher for 2 of the 3 NTP sources,
and the Skew (called EstRateErr on my plots) seems more consistent between
the sources but not amazingly better.  However the trend was still downward,
so maybe I terminated the experiment too early.

This could all be, of course, because of USB being a terrible idea for PPS
:)

In case anyone wants to see, here are the plots I made.  It's one plot for
every column in statistics.log in order.  (Beware, some plots use log scales
and some use linear scales.)

https://www.josefsipek.net/chrony-pps-experiment.pdf

Thanks,

Jeff.