[chrony-users] refclock local

I did an experiment tonight to see if I understood chrony's local refclock
support.

I connected a signal generator running at 1Hz to a serial-to-USB's CTS pin,
told the (FreeBSD) kernel to capture PPS pulses from that pin, and
configured chrony with (in addition to a handful of NTP servers):

	refclock PPS /dev/cuaU1 local

I don't expect amazing results given that USB is involved, but I'm not sure
how to read the chronyc output to make sure that things are working.
'chronyc sources' lists the PPS source and it looks reasonable in general,
but I'm not sure what the '?' source state means.  Is chrony using the
source or is it ignoring it?

MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
#? PPS0                          0   4   377    13   -590ms[ -590ms] +/-   31us
^- kerberos.mit.edu              2   9   377   217   -171us[ -171us] +/-   25ms
^* time.cloudflare.com           3   8   377   917  -1018us[ -840us] +/- 8851us

'chronyc selectdata' is equally confusing - it looks like chrony correctly
marked the source as unsynchronized but there appears to be no data.  Is
that right?

S Name/IP Address        Auth COpts EOpts Last Score     Interval  Leap
s PPS0                      N ----- -----    0   1.0    +0ns    +0ns  ?
D kerberos.mit.edu          N -P--- -P---  404   1.0   -19ms   +18ms  N
* time.cloudflare.com       N -P--- -P--- 1103   1.0 -9124us +8298us  N

This is my first attempt at using chrony, so I might be missing something
obvious.

Thanks,

Jeff.