Re: [chrony-users] Searching for reasoning on design decisions

On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 09:28:39PM +0200, Julian Steinmann wrote:
> However, I haven't found much reasoning why e.g. weighted linear regression
> is used in chrony for NTP samples, whilst a robust linear regression (Least
> Absolute Deviations) is used for RTC samples and manual input (I hope I'm
> not mistaken in my reading of the code).

NTP samples have a delay, which works well as a weight. RTC and manual
samples don't have a delay or anything that could be used as a weight.
There were some unsuccessful attempts to combine weighting with the
robust regression. This needs more research.

> Is there some place where these design decisions are justified?

No, there is just the source code.