[chrony-users] Searching for reasoning on design decisions

I'm a bachelor student at ETH Zurich and am currently working on my bachelor thesis, which is about helping in implementing a new clock synchronisation approach called G-SINC. G-SINC (https://github.com/marcfrei/scion-time, paper linked in README) focuses especially on byzantine fault-tolerance and builds on a new internet architecture called SCION.

Right now I am focusing on implementing the sample offset interpolation algorithm. We have already implemented a PLL-based algorithm, taken from Ntimed by Poul-Henning Kamp and are exploring an approach using the Theil-Sen estimator, but are also looking at re-implementing the existing algorithms in chrony and ntpd. In all of this, chrony is basically our "gold standard" when it comes to accuracy and design approaches. However, I haven't found much reasoning why e.g. weighted linear regression is used in chrony for NTP samples, whilst a robust linear regression (Least Absolute Deviations) is used for RTC samples and manual input (I hope I'm not mistaken in my reading of the code).

Is there some place where these design decisions are justified? For ntpd, there is of course the Computer Network Time Synchronisation book, but David L. Mills seems to reach different conclusions than chrony does... I hope I haven't overlooked some obvious place to search; otherwise, I'm very sorry for bothering the list.

Best regards,
Julian