Re: [chrony-users] Not using external server if stratum drops below acceptable number

On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 at 13:47, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 01:30:05PM +0100, Simon Burke wrote:
> My question is whether there is an option to stop using a particular source
> if its stratum drops below an expected value. I suspect that the answer is
> that it's not needed, but I just wanted to get some clarity for my
> own understanding.

In what cases do you think it might be needed?

There is no option to do it directly. If you wanted to avoid
selecting a high-stratum source when a low-stratum source is
available, the stratumweight option could be set to a large value.

My thinking is along the lines of the external NTP service. They list all their servers as Stratum 1, but it drops when they do maintenance on their systems.
As the intention is to keep the overall system reasonably accurate, mixing stratums was something I intended to avoid. Though in this case, I'm not sure it is entirely avoidable.

This might well be a case of my general mis-understanding, hence my asking for some clarity

--
Simon.