Re: [chrony-users] Marking a refclock unusable / changing its precision at runtime

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 02:26:35PM -0700, Keenan Tims wrote:
> I would prefer not to run my monitoring task as root, so that it can
> restart chrony (and thus also lose all of chrony's state with its
> servers), so I was looking for a way to remove / noselect / unprefer'
> the refclock via chronyc, but these options all seem to only be
> available for NTP servers. Is there something I am missing, or is the
> only option to modify the configuration file and restart chrony
> entirely (or implement a SOCK/SHM shim)?

There is currently no way to modify the selection options of an NTP
source or refclock. I agree that could be useful. I added it to my
todo list.

As a variation on the SOCK/SHM shim workaround, if you could provide
the reference of the refclock to chrony, it could be marked as
noselect but used for PPS locking of the other refclock with the lock
option. If it stopped providing time, the PPS refclock would stop.