Re: [chrony-users] rejecting one of two trusted hosts

On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 10:29:37AM -0500, Aaron Ball wrote:

> > If you are willing to accept a majority with time-alt1, why is it not
> > trusted?
> >

> Well, I'm asking because I'm not clear on how best to express what we want
> to do. Should we be using "prefer" instead of "trust"? The alternate time
> servers are fine servers, but far enough away that they won't be setting
> time precisely enough.

Yes, I think "prefer" would work better in what you describe here. If
you trust all specified servers, you don't need to mark them as
trusted. The trust option is about detecting falsetickers, not
selecting best sources for synchronization.

chrony prefers closer servers by default, in terms of the root
distance. With the combinelimit directive you can control how distant
sources are accepted relative to the closest server. The default limit
is 3, meaning that if the closest server has a distance of 1
millisecond, other sources up to 3 milliseconds will be combined with
it.