[chrony-users] Handling offset when Mac wakes from sleep

I have had a number of requests/complaints from Mac users about the how long it takes for chrony to converge again after the OS has been sleeping. As far as I can tell they are using chrony to discipline the clock but are not providing NTP services to the lan - i.e. if they were providing service to a lan then it would make no sense to allow the machine to sleep.

I have written a small daemon, activated by a wakeup event from OS, that will quickly synchronise the clock, but before I release it to the wild I thought it best to get some opinions.

The daemon works by running the following commands with the default settings shown

On wakeup:
	chronyc burst 4/4
	sleep 10
	chronyc makestep

I have allowed the user to override the arguments to the burst command and also to configure the sleep time. A network/mask can also be specified.

Will these defaults be generally useful? I have no idea how many servers users usually configure but I expect it would be 4 or 5 of they are using the time.apple.com pool or pool.ntp.org

Some public NTP servers don't like clients to 'burst'. However I have yet to receive a complaint, but is this something to be concerned about?

--
Bryan Christianson
bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx