Re: [chrony-users] Peer selecting when NTS enabled

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 09:42:14AM +0100, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 01:45:34AM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > chronyc> selectdata
> > S Name/IP Address        Auth COpts EOpts Last Score     Interval  Leap
> > T 192.168.0.2               N ----- -----   28   1.0 -8012us +8034us  N
> > T 192.168.0.3               N ----- -----   25   1.0 -7523us +7645us  N
> > T 192.168.0.6               N ----- -----    9   1.0 -7278us +7859us  N
> > T 192.168.0.7               N ----- -----   26   1.0 -7109us +7295us  N
> > T 192.168.0.21              N ----- -----   10   1.0 -7846us +8107us  N
> > * excelsior.roeckx.be       Y ----- --TR-    0   1.0 -6669us +7580us  N
>
> The last source is trusted (T in EOpts). That comes from the nts
> option. The intervals of the other sources don't fit inside the
> interval of the trusted source, so they are not selectable.
>
> > chronyc> selectdata
> > S Name/IP Address        Auth COpts EOpts Last Score     Interval  Leap
> > T 192.168.0.2               N ----- -----   18   1.0 -8449us +8306us  N
> > D 192.168.0.3               N ----- -----   16   1.0 -6972us +7014us  N
> > D 192.168.0.6               N ----- -----    0   1.0 -7151us +7432us  N
> > T 192.168.0.7               N ----- -----   18   1.0 -8242us +8398us  N
> > T 192.168.0.21              N ----- -----    0   1.0 -7279us +7404us  N
> > * excelsior.roeckx.be       Y ----- --TR-    6   1.0 -7161us +7701us  N
>
> Here, some sources fit inside that interval, but they don't pass the
> selection for having a large root distance.

So the server needs to be better than the worst trusted server
that's combined before it can also be combined?

> > I'm not sure if I can get the value of the root distance, but it
> > should be almost the same, surely not a factor of 3 difference.
>
> The length of the interval is the root distance at the time of the
> selection. The "+/-" value in the sources output is the root distance
> at the time of the measurement. That is also reported in the
> measurements log. The 'D' state should clear up after 32 updates of
> the selected source if the distance doesn't become too large.

Are you saying that even when it was always smaller than the combine
limit * selected peer's root delay, when it moved away from the T
state, it needs to do that for 32 updates? I guess it changes too
much to the T state.

Note that the +/- is documented as the margin of error, which is
not the same as the root delay for me.

Kurt