Re: [chrony-users] Chronyd with ptp4l reference

On Wed, Dec 02, 2020 at 05:05:33PM +0000, Geist, Dan (CCI-Atlanta) wrote:
> Hello, all. I'm working on integrating ptp4l into our x86 (EL7) hardware-based NTP farm. Previously, I'd used the ntpd shared memory interface "fudge" clock with good success but can't find the proper way to integrate that timing source into chrony (which I think might yield an overall more stable ntp source for the platform). The PPS and SHM interfaces (per docs) don't appear to be working correctly (or I'm doing it wrong). The intent is to use PTP (which we manage as part of our network infrastructure) as both time source and also phase (as much as is feasible). I'd appreciate any comments:

If it worked with the ntpd SHM driver, the same configuration using
the SHM refclock driver should work with chrony.

Your ptp4l config shows hardware timestamping and ntpshm servo. That
cannot work as ntpd/chronyd is synchronizing the system clock, not the
PTP clock. ptp4l needs to use a normal servo to synchronize the PTP
clock and phc2sys should use the ntpshm servo to feed measurements to
chrony to synchronize the system clock. The easiest way to get this
all working together is the timemaster program from linuxptp.