Re: [chrony-users] Chrony behaviour on local reference mode

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 05:03:53PM +0000, Antoine Sgambato wrote:
> In particular the reference ID 7F7F0101 tells me that the local mode is operating (enabled with chronyc local stratum 12 orphan) and
>
> ^? 127.127.1.0                  12  10   377   825    -11us[  -11us] +/-   17us

Don't specify any 127.127.*.* servers in your chrony.conf. That's a
ntpd's syntax for reference clocks. chronyd doesn't support this
syntax and it will actually try to synchronize to itself, which is
never a good idea. (chrony-4.0 is better at detecting this issue)

> So far it behave as I expected. But now if I remove the server I added (chronyc delete 10.61.255.254)
> I would expect to return the the first situation. Instead after some time I end-up with this:

The local directive has the distance option to configure the
threshold when the local reference mode should activate. By default,
it's 1 second. In your tracking output root_delay/2 + root_dispersion
is only 0.027 seconds. The rate at which the dispersion is increasing
depends on how stable were the measurements/clock and the
maxclockerror setting.

> Root delay      : 0.000058132 seconds
> Root dispersion : 0.027406862 seconds

> I also have an other question: from my experiments I noted that chrony "takes time" to switch the source used for synchronization to an other one when it becomes unreachable. The time I saw is greater than half an hour. Is there some configuration options that may be used to adjust this delay?

This question is now in the FAQ:

https://chrony.tuxfamily.org/faq.html#_an_unreachable_source_is_selected