Re: [chrony-users] Syncing time as with a single request

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 04:11:49AM +0000, Gustav Krantz wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to sync system time as quickly as possible as I have a time requirement to meet. Currently I'm using the iburst option against several servers, along with "makestep 1.0 3", and a wait service that calls "/usr/bin/chronyc -h 127.0.0.1,::1 waitsync 600 0.1 0.0 1" to ensure that other services run only after the clock has been synced. This takes about 6 seconds.
>
> If I want to sacrifice some accuracy to reduce the sync time, what would be best practice?

There was a similar question recently:
https://listengine.tuxfamily.org/chrony.tuxfamily.org/chrony-users/2020/01/msg00004.html

> Would it be possible to do the initial sync with a single request per server? If so how would this be done and what would the drawback be?

The current development code in git supports a single-sample
selection/update mode, enabled by setting maxsample to 1, but it's
meant to be used only in the "ntpdate" mode (-q/-Q option) as it
doesn't adjust the frequency of the clock. You could use it for the
initial correction before normally starting chronyd.

# chronyd -q 'pool pool.example.com maxsamples 1 iburst'