Re: [chrony-users] Timeout for initstepslew?

> Yes, you could, at least in theory. Is the server free running (using
> local directive), or synchronized to another server? If it is not very
> stable, there is no point in trying to tightly synchronize its
> clients.

Yes, the server is free running with the local directive. I'm curious
why you say there's no point. For my application, tight
synchronization between machines is all that is required, not absolute
accuracy to an upstream time source. If host1 varies, I want host2 to
track it as closely as possible.

> Best values of minpoll/maxpoll and filter will depend on your network,
> clock, etc. Set the polling interval to the shortest one you are
> comfortable with (not overloading the network or server) and try to
> increase the filter length so that the number of samples reported in
> sourcestats is close to 64, but not 64, most of the time. If it's
> stuck at 64 most of the time, the filter and the update interval is
> probably too short.

Thank you for the practical advice. If RMS offset is a good indicator,
I seem to be getting an excellent synchronization:
RMS offset      : 0.000000093 seconds

Relevant client configuration:
server 192.168.0.2 minpoll -6 maxpoll -4 xleave filter 5