Re: [chrony-users] Timeout for initstepslew?

On Tue, Oct 01, 2019 at 12:48:26PM -0700, Zack Shivers wrote:
> > Yes, you could, at least in theory. Is the server free running (using
> > local directive), or synchronized to another server? If it is not very
> > stable, there is no point in trying to tightly synchronize its
> > clients.
>
> Yes, the server is free running with the local directive. I'm curious
> why you say there's no point.

I meant if it was synchronized over Internet, its clock would be too
unstable relative to what is possible between two local hosts. You
would need to enable the smoothtime directive to stabilize the server
time. If the server is free running, it's ok. The smoothtime directive
could still be useful if you needed to prevent the server from
drifting too far from true time with manual input.

> > Best values of minpoll/maxpoll and filter will depend on your network,
> > clock, etc. Set the polling interval to the shortest one you are
> > comfortable with (not overloading the network or server) and try to
> > increase the filter length so that the number of samples reported in
> > sourcestats is close to 64, but not 64, most of the time. If it's
> > stuck at 64 most of the time, the filter and the update interval is
> > probably too short.
>
> Thank you for the practical advice. If RMS offset is a good indicator,
> I seem to be getting an excellent synchronization:
> RMS offset      : 0.000000093 seconds

That looks good.

> Relevant client configuration:
> server 192.168.0.2 minpoll -6 maxpoll -4 xleave filter 5

Were you getting significantly worse RMS with longer filters?