Re: [chrony-users] NTP bogus timestamps - Chrony on openSUSE 15.1

On 22/8/19 12:00 am, James Knott wrote:
> The calculations based on those time stamps
> were meant to determine that latency and correct for it.

As I understand it, the server doesn't care and simply round-trips it.
The client does the RTT calculations and adjusts accordingly.

It is also a crude way to authenticate the response -- since the client
presumably knows what it sent, if it gets a "spoofed" reply from a
server, this adds a (weak) way to detect this.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.