Re: [chrony-users] NTP bogus timestamps - Chrony on openSUSE 15.1

On 2019-08-21 09:44 AM, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> It has no impact on accuracy.

Maybe not on my local network, but what if the server was some distance
away?  I realize NTP was developed back in the days when a 56 Kb/s
connection was really something, but even with today's high bandwidth
connections there is some latency that would cause the client to be
slightly behind the server.  The calculations based on those time stamps
were meant to determine that latency and correct for it.

Incidentally, at work a few months ago, there was some discussion about
NTP on a major LRT project I was working on, though I wasn't directly
involved with the NTP servers.  On this system, they have 2 GPS/NTP
servers, at different locations, that were to be synced with 2 other
servers.  This system runs over a fibre backbone, that's 11 Km long and
they're somewhat fussy about NTP.  I had to explain, to one of my
co-workers, how NTP worked.