Re: [chrony-users] PPS time

John Burton wrote:
> Okay, my understanding is that the primary reason for PPS in CHRONY is to
> get a more accurate time synchronization from a given source. The PPS
> signal is sent out to mark the top of the GPS second in the time message
> being sent over the serial port from the GPS...

That's true, and that's the usual case, but I'm trying to do
something a bit different.

We've established, earlier in the thread, that chrony does
support synchronization (or "time maintenance" or "steering" if
you wish) using PPS only, which is precisely what I need to do.
The question now concerns the chrony directive for doing that,
namely

	refclock PPS /dev/pps0

This works quite well, the only drawback being that in practice
the name "/dev/pps0" may not be as stable as it needs to be given
that it's to be baked into /etc/chrony/chrony.conf as a constant.
And while this is probably mostly a question for the LinuxPPS
folks, I was hoping someone here might have experience with this,
and have some ideas about either making the name "/dev/pps0" more
stable, or somehow making the chrony configuration resilient in
the face of pps0 maybe spontaneously renaming itself to pps1.
(And in fact Olivier Delbeke's reply up above has given me a few
ideas on this.  Thanks, Olivier.)