Re: [chrony-users] PPS time

On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 09:03:44AM -0700, Steve Summit wrote:
> Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> > If you are planning to use the "PPS" SHM refclock with gpsd, then
> > those questions need to be asked for gpsd, not chrony.
>
> Gotcha.
>
> But the implication here is that there may be other, non-gpsd PPS
> refclocks I could be using instead of gpsd.  I feel like I should
> have come across these already, but where can I read about them?

The SHM refclock provided by gpsd is not a PPS refclock from the
chronyd's point of view. The timestamps already have seconds. chronyd
supports PPS refclocks using a /dev/pps* device directly.

There are basically three different ways how to use gpsd with chronyd:
- SHM 0 (NMEA) + PPS /dev/pps0
- SHM 1 (PPS)
- SOCK /var/run/chrony.ttyS0.sock (PPS)