Re: [chrony-users] Defaulting to stepping the clock

On Mon, Jul 02, 2018 at 03:53:58PM +0100, Pedro Côrte-Real wrote:
> I think the real discussion then is the difference between adjustments
> at boot time and adjustments at chrony startup time. Chrony startup
> time may be early boot when stepping is not a problem but it may also
> be after installing it on a running server when things may be
> confused. If there was a way to say "only step when starting up at
> early boot time when nothing important is running" then maybe that
> would be ok.

The -R option tells chronyd to ignore the makestep directive. A script
could add it to the chronyd command line when uptime is more than few
minutes for instance. However, I suspect this would be confusing. I
think users have learned to restart the NTP service when the clock is
wrong, e.g. when resume in a VM didn't work as expected, or the clock
was incorrectly set by a wrong date command. If they didn't know the
-R option was added automatically, they would have to reboot the
machine.