Re: [chrony-users] check_ntp_peer with Chrony

Il giorno 18 gen 2018, alle ore 16:54, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
> The version is not the problem here, but the mode of the packet is.
> The plugin seems to be using mode 6 (control), which is not supported
> by chrony. FWIW, it's not required or specified in the NTPv4
> specification (RFC 5905).
>
> Depending on what values you need to monitor, you may need a chrony
> specific plugin, which uses the chronyc protocol (or just calling
> chronyc), like this one:

Thank you for the quick reply.

It is much more clean now the topic.
Seems that the statement in the other ml is totally wrong.

I am anyway interested in checking if chrony does have proper source configured.
So the output of chronyc sources, not tracking.

I would like to monitor the status of the ntp sources, therefore something like from chronyc sources, i guess.

# chronyc sources
210 Number of sources = 2
MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
^+ 000.000.000.007               2   6   377     0  -1925us[-1925us] +/-   21ms
^* 000.000.000.003               2   7   377     7  +1562us[+1544us] +/-   16ms

Given also the RFC in draft
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-bcp/
That is not  specific to ntpd (but write some comments specific for ntpd),

There may be some interest to developing mode 6 support?

Thank you very much,
Daniele