Re: [chrony-users] check_ntp_peer with Chrony

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 04:35:31PM +0100, Daniele Palumbo wrote:
> So my goal has became to have monitoring-plugins check_ntp_peer working with Chrony.
>
> https://github.com/monitoring-plugins/monitoring-plugins/blob/master/plugins/check_ntp_peer.c

> But, check_ntp_peer will fail with timeout.
> check_ntp_peer is asking instead for a NTPv2, for some reason.

The version is not the problem here, but the mode of the packet is.
The plugin seems to be using mode 6 (control), which is not supported
by chrony. FWIW, it's not required or specified in the NTPv4
specification (RFC 5905).

Depending on what values you need to monitor, you may need a chrony
specific plugin, which uses the chronyc protocol (or just calling
chronyc), like this one:

https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Network-Protocols/NTP-and-Time/check_ntp(chrony)/details