Re: [chrony-users] Chrony forgets servers (specified by FQDN) when no DNS server

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada V6T 1Z1 ____|____ and Gravity ______|_ www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017, Stephen Satchell wrote:

On 12/20/2017 12:20 PM, Bill Unruh wrote:
You have apparently implimented my suggestion as to how to solve that
question, despite your moral qualms about that implimentation.

Actually, I exchanged mail with the server administrators before moving to IP-based specification for those server entries. That option is in the "rules of engagement."

The pool servers?  If there, great.  If not, no loss.

As to why I have so many external servers when I use a GPS-based NTP appliance: false ticker detection. I don't trust consumer-grade equipment to hold up to all possibilities -- it could die or go crazy.

(Note to others: I'm not using a 1 PPS signal from the GPS appliance. Yet. Not in an edge router.)

In that case your GPS will give you about 1-10ms of accuracy. The net servers
should be in the 10-100usec range, so they should dominate and chrony should
typically latch onto them.
Certainly having a backup to a gps is a very good idea. But 8 of them seems a
tad excessive. Nothing particularly wrong with it.