Re: [chrony-users] Chrony forgets servers (specified by FQDN) when no DNS server

Hi Rob, Bill

> On 21/12/2017, at 9:20 AM, Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> There are two questions here:
> a) chrony drips a source if the dns does not deliver a valid IP for that
> server.
> b)What should the the underlying philosophical stance be of a program like
> chrony to the use of DNS.
>
> I was answering the first, not the second. You had a problem, chronyd was
> dropping servers if dns failed. My suggestion was how to get around that. You
> have now expanded this discussion into the second question.

I tend to agree with Rob on this one. I remember a case a few years back where some modem/router vendor had an NTP IP address hardcoded into the device firmware. The owner of the IP ceased providing the NTP service on that address but for years they were still taking a hit from the millions of devices that had been sold. Even though there may have been no NTP server at that address, the packets still had to hit the routers before they were dropped/rejected. If the device vendor had used DNS then their wouldn't have been a problem for the operator of the server.

Bryan Christianson
bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx