Re: [chrony-users] Possible bug in PPS support

Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
I think the best approach for checking the accuracy of the clock is to
monitor the root delay+dispersion. That's the estimated maximum error
of the clock. If you really wanted to make sure an update of the clock
was made in the last X seconds, you can check the reference time.

I am now monitoring the Root dispersion and this appears to work OK, after some tweaking
of the threshold value.  The reference time unfortunately is in a format that is not easy to
check for "being recent" in a simple script, it would be nice if there was a "seconds since epoch"
field as well (as there is in ntpd/ntpq).  But well, it looks like the dispersion increases
rapidly when there is no PPS reference and this is much like what I require.
(after all, the same is happening to the uncertainty of the time for our application)

Thanks for the hint!

Rob