From: Miroslav Lichvar [mailto:mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 5:53 PM
To: chrony-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [chrony-users] time sync query

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 12:07:11PM +0000, Jahagirdar, Bhushan wrote:
> Offset of the reference is not jumping as I am constantly feeding data every one sec.
> May I know what is the max offset range that chrony can consider to correct it.

If you have enabled makestep, it doesn't matter how large is the offset. But it does matter how stable it is. The default value of maxdistance is 3 seconds, which includes the jitter of the refclock.
In your case the reported distance (the +/- value) was in hours.

> I have already experimented about makestep and found that even if the time is set to epoch, for initial feeds the time gets corrected. But what if abruptly I am setting the time to epoch then I see chrony is not able to sync.
> I am trying to test the working of chrony on typical embedded system.

Can you please post the refclocks and statistics logs? We should better see what is happening.