Re: [chrony-users] How to fail over to Internet when local server is not available

I tried using the latest version from source and it does indeed start without going offline when the laptop is not on. Even better, it starts syncing with the laptop when the laptop is turned on. However, for some odd reason the desktop does not sync with the other servers in the chrony.conf file when the laptop is off. Instead, 'chronyc tracking' always produces output similar to:

Reference ID    : 127.127.1.1 ()
Stratum         : 10
Ref time (UTC)  : Sun Jun 19 15:40:35 2016
System time     : 0.000000000 seconds slow of NTP time
Last offset     : +0.000000000 seconds
RMS offset      : 0.000000000 seconds
Frequency       : 5.446 ppm slow
Residual freq   : +0.000 ppm
Skew            : 0.000 ppm
Root delay      : 0.000000 seconds
Root dispersion : 0.000001 seconds
Update interval : 0.0 seconds
Leap status     : Normal

where the Reference ID is always 127.127.1.1 ()

The relevant part of the chrony.conf file is still:

server 0.debian.pool.ntp.org offline minpoll 8
server 1.debian.pool.ntp.org offline minpoll 8
server 2.debian.pool.ntp.org offline minpoll 8
server 3.debian.pool.ntp.org offline minpoll 8

server pi-robot-netbook.local prefer iburst minpoll 5

--patrick