Re: [chrony-users] How to fail over to Internet when local server is not available

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 06:01:24AM -0700, Patrick Goebel wrote:
> Hi Miroslav,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  I tried removing the offline option from each server
> but that did not solve the problem.  I finally figured out that the issue
> appears to be related to using the Zeroconf hostname for the laptop
> (pi-robot-netbook.local).  If I use the IP address for the netbook or the
> DNS hostname of a different host that I know is not an NTP server, the
> problem goes away.
>
> Using the Zeroconf hostname for the laptop is important so maybe I'll have
> to live with occasionally manually restarting chrony on the desktop unless
> there is some other way to have chrony recognize a Zeroconf hostname.

So the problem is that the IP address of the laptap changed and chrony
didn't try to resolve the name again and had to be restarted? I think
that would work with a more recent chrony version, which try to
replace sources automatically.