Re: [chrony-users] DNS Resolving with pool

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 07:11:11PM +0000, Louis Philippe Lessard wrote:
> Just a quick question about how the IP address is resolved from a pool of server.
>
> If I use the pool directive in the chrony.conf configuration file, many IP addresses will be fetch from the same DNS address.
>
> How often will that process occurred? Is the DNS addresses only resolve when the Chrony start-up? Or is it a regular process?

The name is resolved on start and when a server stops responding or is
serving false time. If someone removes a server from the pool, it will
be used for as long as it's responding (and is serving acceptable time).
Only when it stops responding, chronyd will try to find a replacement.
This happens at most 2 times per hour to limit the number of DNS
queries.

AFAIK there is no practical way to find out if a server is still in
the pool.

> I guess I'm wondering if the servers (IPs) will change overtime since for pool the DNS don't always resolves to the same address.

The addresses that chronyd is using may change over time, but it's not
expected to happen regularly, only when something is wrong.