Re: [chrony-users] Best way to force clock step at shutdown

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 03:56:31PM +0100, Hector Oron wrote:
> > How long ago was the clock set to this date? If chronyd hadn't had a
> > chance to make new measurements in that interval, the makestep command
> > would not fix the offset as chronyd would still think the date is
> > correct. It would be useful to see the output from chronyc tracking
> > and chronyc sources before the makestep command.
>
> I change time manually for the tests, so we are talking minutes, maybe
> 1 or maybe 5.
> How long does it need chronyd to take measurements? I assume the only
> way to force it to do measurements is with the burst command.

The default minimum and maximum polling intervals are 64 and 1024
seconds respectively, so you would need to wait for at least 17
minutes after setting the clock to be sure chronyd polled the servers
at least once. Please note chronyd throws away all collected data when
it detects the clock was set behind its back, so in your test you
would need to actually wait few minutes more as chronyd needs at least
three measurements from the source to actually do any clock updates.

> I have a Network Manager hook similar to:
>   https://github.com/frugalware/frugalware-current/blob/master/source/network-extra/networkmanager-dispatcher-chrony/10-chrony
>
> The sources are listed under /etc/chrony/chrony.conf with the offline option:
>   server 0.xxxx.pool.ntp.org offline minpoll 8

Ok. If you wanted to use the -q option you would need to remove the
offline option from the config or specify the servers on the command
line, e.g.

chronyd -q 'server pool.ntp.org iburst'