Re: [chrony-users] "^~" on the sources : "source appears to have too much variability"

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015, Antoine Demirdjian wrote:

Hi,

the minpoll/maxpoll hasn't solved the issue, but the upgrade has, it's
working fine now.
I've just a question : does the fact that reducing the polling interval
(e.g minpoll/maxpoll 4 for example) makes the synchonization better?

It might or might not. If you are constantly connected to server, then chrony
will track the serrver more closely. However it is at teh cost of worse
determination of the drift rate of your clock. If you programs want a
consistant rate, then that rate will jump around more with a short poll than a
longer one. But the offset will probably be better.

Thanks a lot,

Antoine

On 16 June 2015 at 16:28, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 11:09:56AM +1000, Antoine
      Demirdjian wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'm using chrony without the internet to synchronize two
      RaspberryPi as
      > master/slave.
      >
      > After few minutes, slave doesn't synchronize anymore
      (0.0.0.0 as reference
      > ID) and I can see the "^~" instead of the "^*" on the
      source, meaning that
      > "source appears to have too much variability".

      The variance check in the source selection which reports
      the ~ status
      was disabled in chrony-1.25. It incorrectly rejected very
      close
      sources, exactly as you report.

      My suggestion would be to upgrade to a more recent version.
      If that's
      not possible, you could try as a workaround configure
      chronyd with a
      shorter polling interval, e.g. add "minpoll 4 maxpoll 4" to
      the server
      line in chrony.conf.