Re: [chrony-users] "^~" on the sources : "source appears to have too much variability"

the minpoll/maxpoll hasn't solved the issue, but the upgrade has, it's working fine now.
I've just a question : does the fact that reducing the polling interval (e.g minpoll/maxpoll 4 for example) makes the synchonization better?

Thanks a lot,

Antoine

On 16 June 2015 at 16:28, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 11:09:56AM +1000, Antoine Demirdjian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using chrony without the internet to synchronize two RaspberryPi as
> master/slave.
>
> After few minutes, slave doesn't synchronize anymore (0.0.0.0 as reference
> ID) and I can see the "^~" instead of the "^*" on the source, meaning that
> "source appears to have too much variability".

The variance check in the source selection which reports the ~ status
was disabled in chrony-1.25. It incorrectly rejected very close
sources, exactly as you report.

My suggestion would be to upgrade to a more recent version. If that's
not possible, you could try as a workaround configure chronyd with a
shorter polling interval, e.g. add "minpoll 4 maxpoll 4" to the server
line in chrony.conf.