Re: [chrony-users] Many servers became unreachable

On Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 11:01:43AM +0200, Roel Schroeven wrote:
> Miroslav Lichvar schreef:
> ># /usr/sbin/chronyd -Q 'acquisitionport 122' 'server ntp1.telenet-ops.be iburst'
>
> A question about the acquisitionport option: if I'm reading to the
> documentation on my system (old chrony version) correctly, it only affects
> the rapid-fire measurements requested with the initstepslew directive. The
> current documentation on the website doesn't mention initstepslew, implying
> that acquisitionport affects all server communication.
>
> Has its behavior changed, or am I reading the documentation wrong?

It has changed. initstepslew used to be a separate NTP client inside
chrony, which used its own socket configured with the acquisitionport
directive. The port directive configured the main NTP socket which was
used for both server and client communication. You couldn't change the
client port without changing also the server port.

The initstepslew NTP implementation was removed and it uses the main
NTP code now. It has separate client and server sockets, configured
with acquisitionport and port directives respectively.