Re: [chrony-users] Two Issues

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:31:30AM -0400, Weary1 wrote:
> On 03/12/2015 07:36 AM, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> >
> >Please note that the initstepslew directive works only with sources
> >that are available/resolvable when chronyd is started. It is mainly
> >useful when chronyd should block boot until the clock is set.
>
> OK, tell me more about this, particularly about the means (and extent) of
> chrony's ability to "block" the boot process.

With initstepslew the foreground chronyd process doesn't exit until it
sets the clock or times out, so services started after the chronyd
service can be sure the clock is already set or it failed. But this is
not how 1.24 works, I think it was added later in 1.27.

> >Usually it's better to use the makestep directive in chrony.conf, which
> >works with all sources.
>
> And does it WAIT for the network to be fully up and running, before
> attempting to set the clock?

The makestep directive just tells chronyd to step the clock on future
updates if the offset is too large as if you run "chronyc makestep".
If chronyd is giving up on resolving the names, adding makestep won't
change anything.