Re: [chrony-users] Two Issues

On 03/12/2015 07:36 AM, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

Please note that the initstepslew directive works only with sources
that are available/resolvable when chronyd is started. It is mainly
useful when chronyd should block boot until the clock is set.

OK, tell me more about this, particularly about the means (and extent) of chrony's ability to "block" the boot process.

Given that I still think part of the root problem is that chrony is being started too early in the boot process (i.e., before the network is started, or at least before the network setup/config is complete), I can imagine some potentially nasty "After you, Alphonse" scenarios, if the upstream servers are unreachable because the network isn't up, but the network can't come up because chrony was started first. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Usually it's better to use the makestep directive in chrony.conf, which
works with all sources.

And does it WAIT for the network to be fully up and running, before attempting to set the clock?

--

Weary1