Re: [chrony-users] chrony with only 2 sources

On 03/03/2014 08:56, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 06:45:41AM -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:
I do have another board with full serial capabilities.  What's a
good serial GPS module with PPS, either 5V TTL or RS232?
I have a Garmin 18x LVC and it works fine for me. Another popular GPS
seems to be Sure GPS board, here is some information:

http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Sure-GPS.htm

Probably a bit late, but the GR-601W (code name MACX-1) from navisys.com.tw can work adequately (it's not a standard part, email them, cost $49 ish in small quantity plus shipping)

I have a couple of these. They have a built in USB to serial adaptor, but with the PPS attached to the correct lines. Obviously because you are using USB you now have a max accuracy limited by the USB polling speed which is about 1ms. However, for a simple plug-in and works out of the box device it's pretty nice. I have a couple here, I could probably arrange to setup a Chrony feed if someone wants to examine the stability externally?

Another idea I had (but never completed) is that I have a few Garmin 18 devices. I was going to splice a serial port and USB cable together to give power to the Garmin 18... (if you don't need the accuracy better than 1ms you could attach it to a butchered serial to usb adaptor)

Good luck

Ed W