Re: [chrony-users] chrony with only 2 sources

On 03/12/2014 02:47 AM, Ed W wrote:

Probably a bit late, but the GR-601W (code name MACX-1) from navisys.com.tw can work adequately (it's not a standard part, email them, cost $49 ish in small quantity plus shipping)

I have a couple of these. They have a built in USB to serial adaptor, but with the PPS attached to the correct lines. Obviously because you are using USB you now have a max accuracy limited by the USB polling speed which is about 1ms. However, for a simple plug-in and works out of the box device it's pretty nice. I have a couple here, I could probably arrange to setup a Chrony feed if someone wants to examine the stability externally?

Another idea I had (but never completed) is that I have a few Garmin 18 devices. I was going to splice a serial port and USB cable together to give power to the Garmin 18... (if you don't need the accuracy better than 1ms you could attach it to a butchered serial to usb adaptor)

I got a "Globalsat Timing 1pps GPS Module MTK MT3301 MT3179 Chip" from ebay. Not a bad price, and seems pretty solid. It's ttl level, so you need a max232 or similar chip to match TX, RX, and DCD.

Don't have it hooked up completely yet - turns out I'm missing the correct gender serial null modem cable parts - so as soon as that gets here I will hook it up.

PPS does work; at least gpsd sees it.