Re: [chrony-users] Query regarding "Broadcasting of NTP packets on LAN"

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013, Ajay Garg wrote:

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013, Ajay Garg wrote:

 Hi all.

First, let's me detail the use-case :)

## USE CASE BEGINNING ##

We have a server, S1, which has two interfaces, I1 and I2.
I1 is the gateway to the internet, while I2 is exposed to a LAN.

Thus, installing "chrony" on S1, and then starting "chronyd" works like a
charm on S1.

Now, clients C1, C2, .... Cn are computers, connected via LAN.
Thus, all of C1, C2, ..... Cn can communicate with S1, but cannot
communicate to the internet.

It is desired for C1, C2, ... Cn to synchronise their times, using S1 as
their "time server".

## END OF USE CASE ##

I noted http://chrony.tuxfamily.org/**FAQ.html#question_12.2<http://chrony.tuxfamily.org/FAQ.html#question_12.2>,
which implies
that the above use-case might indeed be possible to be solved.
However, I could not find any details in the FAQ.

Set up C1's internal IP address as the server for the other machines.

You meant "S1's internal IP address", right? :)

Yes. I thought I had changed all the C1 to S1 (I originally composed the reply
with C1 the server)

Make
sure that on C1 those IP addresses of the internal lan  are allowed as
clients.

Again, you meant "Make sure that on S1" right? :)

Yes.

Any starting points? :)

in chrony.conf of the toher machines
server 192.168.0.2
 and on S1
allow 192.168

Should it be
                           allow 192.168

According to chrony.txt it should be this one.
But try it. If it does not work, try your suggestion.

or
                           allow 192.168/16

?

(assuming that the internal subnet is 192.16.x.x and that S1's address on
theinternal subnet is 192.169.0.2)

Read /usr/share/doc/chrony/chrony.txt

Thanks again !!!
(Right now, I have not got it working, but I haven't read
"/usr/share/doc/chrony/chrony.txt" too :P

 I will be really grateful :)

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay

.