Re: [chrony-users] Chronyd aborts when system time differs too much from chrony's measurements

On 27/08/2011 10:55, thomas.schmid@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I run into the problem mentioned in the FAQ "10. Problems with isolated networks". We have the situation where the computer system in question might come up quite frequently with a large time offset (due to BIOS battery removal, or bad batteries etc) and network access is not available just at boot respectively at chrony startup time (so "initstepslew" can not help).

Although it doesn't fix your problems, one feature of the gentoo OpenRc
startup scripts is "/etc/init.d/swclock" that you might want to borrow.
It simply touches file at shutdown and on next boot it sets the clock to
the later of current time and the time on that file

This means your clock can still be massively out, but it is at least
monotonic, ie no backwards jumps.

Possibly that basic idea can get you something a little more stable as a
starting point?

Good luck

Ed W

---