[chrony-users] Chronyd aborts when system time differs too much from chrony's measurements

Hi all,

I run into the problem mentioned in the FAQ "10. Problems with isolated networks". We have the situation where the computer system in question might come up quite frequently with a large time offset (due to BIOS battery removal, or bad batteries etc) and network access is not available just at boot respectively at chrony startup time (so "initstepslew" can not help).

What is the exact amount of time difference chrony still can handle ?

When I tested this, I found that chronyd dies with a SIGABRT, and leaves no traces in syslog about what had happened. Is there a way to configure chrony to handle such a situation in a more benign way, ie leaving a last message ? Or chronyd being kept alive, so it could be questioned by chronyc about such a condition ?

[Note: I hope this problem has not already been discussed to dead before, but I could not find an answer in the mailing list archive].

Kind regards,

Thomas Schmid

---