Re: [chrony-dev] chronyd broken on macOS Big Sur

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 07:52:28PM +1200, Bryan Christianson wrote:

> > On 27/08/2020, at 6:52 PM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > You could start with the test/kernel/ntpadjtime.c program, modified to
> > very slowly change the frequency of the clock, e.g. 1 ppm per minute.
> > If you run at the same time chronyd with the -x option and a short
> > polling interval, you should see in the tracking log when the
> > offset jumped.
>
> Thank you Miroslav - I'll get on to this tomorrow.

I guess it's also possible that the ntp_adjtime() call doesn't
actually do anything. You could try changing the frequency in larger
steps, e.g. 100 ppm every minute and see if it has any effect on the
offset reported by chronyd -x. If it looks the same as when you don't
change the frequency, ntp_adjtime() isn't doing anything.