Re: [chrony-dev] chronyd broken on macOS Big Sur

David, thanks for the feedback

> On 29/07/2020, at 12:28 AM, David Bohman <debohman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Why is disabling SIP not an option, at least temporarily? It seems to me that you need to replace the timed service in order to use chronyd at all. You cannot have two daemons running at the same time who both think that they are disciplining the clock.

I am reluctant to remove timed with SIP disabled because because it is not something I would like to do on an ongoing basis - i.e after every OS update. Also, I don't want to support end users in disabling SIP and removing timed if they have installed chrony via my ChronyControl application. If there was some way to do it without booting into recovery then I would be happy with that.

Please note, on macOS 10.13, 10.14 10.15 chronyd works very well when:
	1. the specified time server in System Preferences/Date & Time is set to a non-existent host.
	2. automatica update is disabled in the same System Preferences pane.

I had an idea that if I was to send a SIGSTOP to timed, then that would solve the problem. However, when I tried this from the command line (pkill -STOP timed) something is still messing with the system clock and every minute or so, chronyd is emitting messages about the clock being wrong. This indicates that simply removing timed still won't solve the problem.

I've had zero feedback from Apple in response to my bug report and I'm not sure where to proceed from here. If there are any Mac developers on the list, it might be a good idea to each submit a feedback report in an attempt to get Apple to take notice of the issue. It just doesn't feel right to me that they can take on timekeeping based on, according to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timed , a standard from the mid 1980s that as far as I am aware is used by no-one else.

Bryan Christianson
bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx