Re: [chrony-dev] chronyd broken on macOS Big Sur

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 11:41:44AM +1200, Bryan Christianson wrote:
> It worked!!! I left the daemon running for over 30 minutes and it held the system time to +/- 5 usecs of NTP, (mostly better than +/- 1usec). The timed daemon did NOT change the clock at all during this test and chronyd behaved as expected.

That's good to hear.

> I repeated the test with ntp_adjtime() enabled and kept a log of debug messages (attached). A simple analysis of the debug trace seems to say that the reference clock is leaping about, but I proved that it isn't with my first adjtime() test. Also the reference clock works perfectly with earlier versions of macOS, my linux machines etc.
>
> My current conclusion is that the Darwin kernel in Big Sur has a bad implementation of ntp_adjtime() that somehow causes the clock to jump by random intervals. I would really appreciate help in building a *simple* program to be able to demonstrate this to Apple in a new bug report.

You could start with the test/kernel/ntpadjtime.c program, modified to
very slowly change the frequency of the clock, e.g. 1 ppm per minute.
If you run at the same time chronyd with the -x option and a short
polling interval, you should see in the tracking log when the
offset jumped.