Re: [chrony-dev] Can we add refid to peers and servers?

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 01:35:10PM +0200, Nuno Gonçalves wrote:
> Maybe a dual null terminated c-string where current protocol clients
> would stop on the first null?
>
> I'm throwing this without checking the actual protocol...

Currently, there are no strings in the protocol. Everything is fixed
size, which is nice wrt to buffer overflows etc.

Adding a fixed 255-byte field for hostnames might work and not be too
offensive.

New commands can be separate from the current commands for
compatibility with older clients.

But how should this work in chronyc? When should it resolve names from
addresses and when should it request/send hostnames? This could be
very confusing and/or break compatibility with existing scripts/use
cases.