Re: [chrony-dev] Wild frequency fluctuations in macOS 13.2

> On 9/12/2017, at 6:10 PM, Gerriet M. Denkmann <g@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On 9 Dec 2017, at 10:31, Bryan Christianson <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> If you have not disabled  timed by specifying an unknown ip address or hostname in the Date&Time System preferences pane, then that could possibly explain the result.
>
> I had System Preferences → Date & Time → Date & Time → “Set data and time automatically” set to off several years ago.
> Maybe some Installer did reset this.
>
> I have now set it again to off (but the textField still has: “Apple Asia (time.asia.apple.com.)”).
> Thanks to making me check this check-box again.
>
> timed is still running (as it should).

Unfortunately there is bug in timed - even when “Set data and time automatically” is disabled, it will still poll whatever server is defined in the disabled text field and attempt to adjust the clock. i.e. the check box does nothing except stopping you from changing the server.

I suggest you set the text field to 'unknown-ntp-server' and try again.

I think there is no need for the chrony patch you suggest. In chronycontrol, this is handled by the installation script. See http://whatroute.net/chronycontrol.html

Bryan Christianson
bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx