Re: [chrony-dev] new feature request: add "fast" and "slow" to "clock wrong" and "clock stepped" log messages

On 10/31/2017 10:41 AM, James Feeney wrote:
> "ahead" and "behind" also will work for both the offset message and the> "was stepped" message.

Also:
forward / back
advanced / delayed
leading / lagging	These are more traditional technical terms describing offsets.
incremented / decremented
increased / decreased	"stepped forward by" -> "increased by", etc.
raised / lowered	Ha!  Our concept of time is so "horizontal".
early / late

Hmm - on second thought, "was stepped ahead" seems natural, but "was stepped behind", not so much.  And then, "clock behind by 3.000000 seconds" followed by "was stepped ahead by 3.000000 seconds" might seem to mix-together "behind" and "ahead" in a contradictory way.  Different word pairs for each message might be easier to read and understand.

For reference, from my original example:

chronyd[622]: System clock wrong by 1.693005 seconds, adjustment started
chronyd[622]: System clock was stepped by 1.693005 seconds

I might lean more toward "leading / lagging" and "increased / decreased".