Re: [chrony-dev] new feature request: add "fast" and "slow" to "clock wrong" and "clock stepped" log messages

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 10:19:37AM +0100, FUSTE Emmanuel wrote:
> Le 30/10/2017 à 19:42, Denny Page a écrit :
> > FWIW, I believe “ahead” and “behind” are the most clear in speaking to the condition before initiating a correct. “Fast” and “Slow” somewhat imply an ongoing condition that may or may not be true. It could be the accuracy of setting the RTC before reboot for instance.
> >
> >      System clock ahead by ?.????????
> >      System clock behind by ?.????????
> >
> > Denny
> >
> I second you:
>
> For system logs messages
> "ahead" / "behind" for offset
> "fast" / "slow" for freq

That looks good to me.

Another question is whether it's correct to say "System clock". The
messages don't actually print the offset of the system clock, but
rather the change in the offset relative to the NTP time that chronyd
is tracking. On start that is the same as the offset of the system
clock, but if there is an unfinished correction, it's the difference
between the old offset and new offset.

There are at least the following options:
1. change the message to better describe what is behind or ahead
2. change the message to print the real offset of the system clock
   a) print it on each update as long as the offset is larger than
      logchange
   b) print it only when the change in the offset is larger than
      logchange

Thoughts?