Re: [chrony-dev] chronyd not recovering after time stepped.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 09:45:03AM -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:
> The machine itself should not spike, unless some sysadmin decides to test it
> by inserting spikes, and that also should not happen. If it does happen on its
> own, either some program has gone rogue, and needs to be found and shot, or
> there is something seriously wrong with the machine, and no amount of chrony
> or ntp is going to solve it.

There are cases where a sudden phase offset is expected to happen,
suspending and resuming the system (which sets the system clock from
the RTC) for instance. I think it's a useful test to see how chrony
recovers from that and if there are problems, they should be fixed.

> Similarly if the server suddenly spikes, that
> indicates something seriously
> wrong there.

The server could have just been offline for couple days. With the new
time smoothing feature the step in the served time could be avoided,
but we shouldn't expect it to be the default.