Re: [chrony-dev] chronyd not recovering after time stepped.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 10:20:45PM +1200, Bryan Christianson wrote:
> Step the local clock forward by 1500ms
>
> chronyd reports an unexpected offset in the message log
> 	chronyd[57399]: System clock wrong by -0.754267 seconds, adjustment started
>
> chronyd starts correcting the offset and overshoots from -1000ms to around +70ms (as reported in tracking.log)

Overshoot is possible depending on the adjtime() correction rate and
the polling interval.

> On close inspection, I can that the offset is dropping, but very, very slowly from 70ms to 50ms in an hour, i.e at about 5ppm. Maybe it will recover in a few hours?

That is odd. How long is the polling interval? It shouldn't take more
than 6-10 new measurements after the step for the frequency to get close
again to the right value and correct any remaining offset.

> Restarting chronyd clears the offset rapidly.
>
> Is this normal behaviour?
>
> I'm really not sure whats going on here and, if it is a problem, where I should be looking to debug it.

The measurements, statistics and tracking logs could be useful.