Re: [chrony-dev] Leap second handling

On 07/11/12 11:09, Bill Unruh wrote:
That is what is supposed to happen. clearly on some systems there were
problems. I saw none. But then I was not looking closely.

I have to admit that the last time I did look closely was in 2005. But I assume the people at Google did and if their systems behaved like that, they wouldn't have made their own implementation, would they? On the other hand, it is also a question of reliability, as demonstrated by the linux bug. The big problem with leap seconds is that they happen so rarely and lots of new software is written inbetween two of them. I would rather rely on the normal chrony time adjustment handling, than on the leap second handling of a kernel that might be a new one with every other leap second.

Btw, does anyone know an easy way to simulate leap seconds, i.e. setting up a time server to propagate its local time combined with an artificial leap second announcement (apart from generating a patched chronyd or ntpd)?

--
Frank MUZZULINI                Phone: +49 721 9497-2501
COMSOFT GmbH                   Fax:   +49 721 9497-349

Geschaeftsfuehrer: Manfred Jlg,  Manfred Schmid
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsruhe,  Handelsregister: Mannheim HRB 102488

	Help save paper - do you really need to print this e-mail?

--- Disclaimer ---
This mail contains private or confidential information for the eyes of
the addressee(s) named within this mail only.  Any distribution or
usage, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited.  If the context of
this message indicates that you may have received this mail by error,
please immediately contact and notify the sender and delete this mail
from your computers as well as from your mail server. Thank you!