Re: [chrony-dev] Leap second handling

 Actually, and developed by Mills, the behaviour of the system clock is
supposed to be that during the forward leap second (insertion of a second)
what is supposed to happen is that teh system clock stops for a second, (It
does not gobackward) but every time the sysem clock is queried, it is supposed
to give a time slightly later than the previous reading. Thus lets say you
query the clock 3 times a second. You would get
23:59.59.0
23:59:59.333333
23:59.59.666666
0:0:0.000000
0:0:0.000001
0:0:0.000002
0:0:0:000003
0:0:0:333333
0:0:0:666666
0:0:1:000000
so the clock never goes backwards. For a lost second, the reading ofthe clock
during th 58th second and the 0 sec goes twice as fast
57:666666
58.000000
58.666666
59.333333
0.000000
0.333333

The clock in all cases is read exactly 1/3 of a second as determined by TAI
time.

That is what is supposed to happen. clearly on some systems there were
problems. I saw none. But then I was not looking closely.

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012, Frank Muzzulini wrote:

On 07/10/12 23:49, Bill Unruh wrote:
 On Tue, 10 Jul 2012, Frank Muzzulini wrote:

>  Hello,
> > sadly I was not able to observe the leap second in June and I also
>  found that the online documentation gives little information about how
>  chrony handles a leap second. I guess it forwards the information to
>  the kernel, doesn't it?
> > You may have heard about the the problems some linux systems had and
>  the solution implemented by Google. (If you haven't, look at
>  http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Leap-second-Linux-can-freeze-1629805.html).
>  I wonder if chrony could add something like that as an option, too.
> > Alternatively I can also imagine a simpler way: Pass the leap second
>  announcement to clients as usual and locally adapt the time as if it
>  were an error of one second, encountered at 0:00 UTC. If clients use
>  the same setting, it will work neatly for all anyway.

 Well, my version of chrony seems to have handled it without any problem.
 If
 you look at www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/chrony youwill see no evidence of
 any
 problem .

I am not speaking about a problem of chrony, I want chrony to be a solution to other problems. Let me express this more clearly.

There are actually two problems:

1. The general one: The posix interface to get the system time (gettimeofday or clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME) does not forsee any representation of leap seconds. In practice, at least in Linux, from the application point of view a leap second looks like a back step of one second.

2. The specific one: Some linux kernels have chance to consume endless CPU after passing a leap second.

I am sure the linux bug will be fixed by the time of the next leap second, although some old kernels might still be around and new bugs might come up. The general problem will remain.

Btw: I have no permission to look at your server, but I found that one of our test machines was running chrony during the leap second and so I could see that it passes the information to the kernel as expected.